HOW TO APPLY FOR SCHOLARSHIPS AND GRANTS
One of the questions people ask most time is how to apply for scholarships and grants and in this page we provided enough answer to this question and other related questions
What is a scholarship?
Before answering the question of how to apply for scholarships and grants it is important we discuss what scholarship is all about.
A scholarship is an award or a financial aid given to a student or group of students to help them to further their studies at different levels of educational, scholarships are usually awarded based on academic achievements but some scholarships are awarded base on other criteria which may include religion, ethnicity, gender, certain certificates or even by recommendation
WHO IS IN CHARGE OF SCHOLARSHIP
There is no particular body in charge of scholarship; scholarship can be funded by individuals, businesses, religious groups, government, community organizations, and college departments. Some scholarships are for everybody but some are limited to certain group.
WHEN TO APPLY FOR SCHOLARSHIP
Different scholarship have their different date 0f application, usually not one day its always of range of date, applicants need to remain constantly in touch with the source of information on the particular scholarship of interest, if it is an organization that has an official portal then the applicant must visit the portal regularly, Rockbaze.com is an example of scholarship updating site where you can always check out for scholarship opportunities.
Early and often are the best times to apply for scholarships. Some scholarships have deadlines as early as a year before the start of your collegiate career. You don’t have to wait until you’ve made up your mind about where you want to go to school to apply.
And if you miss out for a particular scholarship you can apply for another, in fact it is advisable to apply for more than one scholarship at a time, if you fail in one; you may succeed in another and if you get two you then make a choice
WHO SHOULD APPLY FOR SCHOLARSHIP
Scholarships are most times for financial assistance, some are for special students (exceptionally intelligent students, gifted students and physically challenged). Therefore if you are a special student or a student in need of financial assistance you can apply for scholarships.
There are scholarships for different academic levels, primary, secondary, tertiary and post graduate studies.
There are scholarships available for students who are already enrolled in school, in fact majority of tertiary institution scholarships are for already enrolled students
SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION TIPS
- You don’t have to pay for scholarship search
- Don’t overlook small scholarships, little assistance can mean a lot
- International scholarships are more competitive for apply also for local scholarships
- Exaggerate your grades, memberships, skills, or qualifications as little as possible. If you apply for scholarships that match your interests and capabilities, you’ll have a better chance of getting one.
- Every year of your college career, apply for scholarships. Approximately half of the scholarships available are for students who are currently enrolled in college.
- Some scholarships are really simple to apply for. Others will take a bit longer. All deadlines must be met. If you can’t submit the scholarship application electronically, send it by certified mail. You may be disqualified if you miss a deadline.
- Beware of fraud, especially when money is demanded from you, registration for most scholarships are for free, remember this is a financial assistance
- And finally you can always check our site for scholarship updates
POSSIBLE DOCUMENTS FOR SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION
These are some of the documents you may need for scholarship application depending on the type of scholarship
- Certificates of your previous education (first degree, school leaving exams etc.)
- Letters of recommendation (work/academic)
- Language certificate (e.g. TOEFL, IELTS)
- Motivation letter
- Curriculum Vitae (resume)
- You sometimes need to provide examples of your past work (an essay etc.)